My Blog List

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Song, Mommy?

When Ella was a baby the only thing that used to calm her down was to sing to her. Each night she would want to lay in my arms and listen to a few songs. And each night I would struggle to remember the words of nursery rhymes. It seems silly because one would think that nursery rhymes are permanently engrained in our brains from when we were children... that is not the case with me. I would get one or two lines in and switch to a new song because I couldn't remember anything else lol. I finally just gave up on nursery rhymes all together. I began singing songs that I loved as a kid. Songs like Landslide and Silver Spring by Fleetwood Mac, Barrell of Money, and a wide assortment of worship songs.

The one song that always was in the front of my mind when I would rock Ella was the song "Make You Feel my Love". It got to the point where I would just sing that to her each night. It slowly has developed into "our song". This morning I was playing songs from my "labor" mix on my computer. It is a list of songs that I have used as focal points during labor with both my kids. Ella was sitting on my lap and that song started playing and she got the  biggest smile on her face.

"My song, mommy?" she asked.
  "You are absolutely right" I replied.

 She sat there with me as I told her about why that is her song. I told her about how on the day she was born I played that song over and over. She sat quietly and twirled my hair as I talked about my problem with forgetting lyrics to children's songs and how this song kept creeping up each time I would rock her. She looked at me like she was soaking in every word and able to understand all of the meaning behind it. I know that her two year old mind was just enjoying the music playing in the background but my 26 year old heart was melting!

In case you are wondering, Jack also has a song. His is "A Place Only You can Go" by NeedtoBreathe.

No comments: